Did you know there are seven more beatitudes in the book of Revelation? I didn’t. I am teaching through the churches of the Revelation in one of my Bible studies. I was studying a commentary and there it was…so I had to blog about it. I often say that Christians should live in such a way that God is able to bless our lives. A beatitude is just the information we need. Most Christians are familiar with the beatitudes from the Sermon on the Mount. Jesus said, “Blessed are…” meaning “unspeakable joy belongs to the one who…” But there is only one book of the Bible that promises its reader will be blessed. That is the book of Revelation. “Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near” (Revelation 1:3). Later, Jesus reveals six more beatitudes to the Apostle John so he could record them in the Revelation. I thought my readers might enjoy knowing what they are. I sure did!
1. Revelation 14:13 – “Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on.” Every Christian you know that has gone home to the Lord is leading a BLESSED life – right now. And if you are a Christian that is your promise as well. Picture them living with unspeakable joy in heaven, every moment for all eternity. I hope that eases your grief and increases your hope.
2. Revelation 16:15 – “Blessed is the one who stays awake and remains clothed, so as not to go naked and be shamefully exposed.” Ok…on the surface this seems like that bad dream we hear about, but here is what Jesus meant. Blessed is the person who lives like Jesus could return at any moment. That person is ready to go to heaven and face the Lord with confidence – knowing they will hear “Well done my good and faithful servant.” How does that change your plans for today? (Besides taking a faster shower!)
3. Revelation 19:9 – “Blessed are those who are invited to the wedding supper of the Lamb!” Remember how excited the world was to watch the royal weddings? Imagine how honored you would have felt to receive a personal invitation to the wedding and the reception at the castle? If you are a Christian you have been invited to the most important royal wedding in the history of the world – and there is a GREAT banquet following. It will be the best meal you have ever eaten – think cheesecake, calorie and cholesterol free! (My own thoughts, not the commentary’s.)
4. Revelation 20:6 – “Blessed and holy are those who share in the first resurrection.” The first resurrection is for the saved. If you are a Christian you have been born again, saved from death itself. Jesus said you have been blessed and made holy because you will be resurrected and taken to heaven just like he was. Easter is your story as well.
5. Revelation 22:7 – “Blessed is the one who keeps the words of this prophecy written in this scroll.” How long has it been since you read the book of Revelation? Use a good study Bible, avoid a lot of the internet, and read the Revelation. I have some Bible study on my website you can download for the first few chapters. Don’t be afraid of reading Revelation. It isn’t the parts you don’t understand that should concern you…it’s the parts that are crystal clear you should be thinking about. You will be BLESSED if you read Revelation and obey it. Jesus promised.
6. Revelation 22:14 – “Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they might have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city.” I read a book one time that described the “pearly gates.” The author said that the gates were made of pearl because pearl was the only precious stone that required the death of the “creator” to retrieve. If you are saved you have been washed in the blood of the Lamb and you have the right to live forever – in HEAVEN where you will be blessed for all time. (See Rev. 14:13 above.)
So grab a Bible, turn to the last book and be blessed. Christians should have the greatest joy of anyone on earth. Bask in God’s blessing and when people ask why you are so happy all of the time, tell them you are blessed. Then look for a way to tell them how to find that blessing too. No one should miss that cheesecake!